Dixie's Southern Fried Chicken
Dixie adds custom spice to her best chicken recipe.
- cast iron skillet
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried ground sage
- 1 tsp dried ground oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt more or less, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried ground basil
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne more or less, to taste
FOR CHICKEN BREADING
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning (above)
- 1/2 cup general purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp yellow corn meal
- 1 lb. chicken Use the kind of chicken you prefer. Bone-in with skin, boneless skinless, white meat, dark meat, tenders, or a combination.
- 1 cup buttermilk Use the amount of milk it takes to cover chicken.
To make seasoning
- Mix spices together. Seal in a glass jar. Use as needed.
To prepare chicken
- Wash chicken pieces and soak in buttermilk for several hours or overnight.
To cook chicken
- Add cooking oil or shortening to cast iron skillet. You will want to use a good amount of oil—maybe 1/2-inch, depending on the depth of your skillet—but not too much. You're frying not deep-frying. If you chose to use the deep frying method, use the proper tools, which includes a deep fryer.
- After oil has heated, add chicken pieces. Some people like to leave a lot of room between pieces, but I've always found that chicken placed single layer in the skillet and reasonably packed will brown better.