Thunder & Lightning (Green Tomato Relish)
A mild green tomato relish to accent cooked beans and other savory dishes.
- Hot water canner, rack, jars and lids
- 12 large green tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper purple might be fun too!
- 6 large white or yellow onions
- 1.5 Tbsp celery seed
- 1.5 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 2.5 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- Sterilize enough jars and lids to hold relish. Set aside.
- Line a large colander with cheesecloth, place in sink or in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a food processor, in batches, coarsely grind tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and then onions.
- Pour veggies into cheesecloth-lined colander and allow to drain for an hour.
- In a large, non-aluminum stockpot, combine tomato mixture with celery seed, mustard seed, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Add lids and tightly screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.
- Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Check to be sure each jar sealed.