New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas
A side or main dish that's delicious any day!
- 1 lb. dry black-eyed peas
- 6 oz. country ham
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- black pepper, to taste
- 4-5 cups water
- Rinse black-eyed peas with water, place into a crockpot and cover with water. Soak overnight.
- The following morning, pour off the old water and replace with 4-5 cups fresh water. Turn crockpot to high.
- Chop country ham into bitesize pieces. Add to crockpot.
- Dice garlic and add to crockpot.
- Add ground black pepper to taste to crockpot. There's no need to add salt, because the country ham is salty.
- Wash the rosemary sprig and add it to crockpot.
- Cover crockpot with lid and turn to high. Cook peas for 5-6 hours. Check for doneness. If peas are tender, turn the crockpot to warm until you're ready to serve your meal. Remove rosemary sprig before serving.
- This dish makes a delicious side for fried chicken or pork loin, or it can be make as a meal on its own served with Thunder & Lightning (Green Tomato Relish) and a pan of hot cornbread.